Almost everyone has a "problem area," a place where stubborn fat seems completely resistant to even the most vigilant diet and regular exercise. How many times have we heard someone say, "If I gain any weight, it goes right to my ..."? For these areas, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Vincent Lepore offers Smartlipo™, tumescent and VASER® ultrasonic liposuction for San Jose, Palo Alto, Los Gatos and other Silicon Valley residents. When performed by a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon such as Dr. Lepore, liposuction addresses stubborn fat deposits in a variety of areas including (but not limited to) the chin, thighs, abdomen, and hips.
Dr. Lepore offers patients who visit him in San Jose tumescent liposuction as an individual procedure or along with Smartlipo or VASER Lipo. He will have a thorough discussion with you and conduct a complete physical examination to determine which method would be your best choice.
- During tumescent liposuction surgery, a fluid comprised of saline, anesthesia and adrenaline is infused into the treatment area. This fluid reduces bruising and bleeding and, because of the anesthesia, the procedure is more comfortable.
- VASER ultrasonic liposuction uses ultrasonic waves to break up fat cells, making them easier to remove. With this method, there is only minimal damage to the surrounding tissues and fewer nerves and blood cells are being disturbed. Recovery is faster and more comfortable.
- Smartlipo uses laser technology and is less invasive than traditional liposuction. It requires less recovery time and has a decreased risk of complications. In addition, while the laser is rupturing fat cells, it is also sealing blood vessels in the area to decrease bruising, swelling, and bleeding. This procedure also encourages the production of collagen and skin tightening.
What to Expect
Depending upon the method of liposuction, the procedure may be conducted under either sedation or general anesthesia. The treatment area is first infused with tumescent fluid – this is the case even if you choose Smartlipo or VASER Lipo. The tumescent fluid allows Dr. Lepore to gain easier access to the fat deposits to be treated and makes the fat easier to remove.
- During tumescent-only liposuction, a tube (cannula) suctions away fat cells.
- During VASER Lipo, a device that emits a high-frequency ultrasonic wave is used to break up the fat cells.
- During Smartlipo, a tiny tube with a laser fiber attached is used to break up the fat cells and remove them through the tube.
The liposuction methods offered by Dr. Lepore require very little downtime and should cause only minimal discomfort. Some swelling or bruising is normal. You should be able to return to your normal activities in less than a week. Many women who desire additional improvements may wish to have a tummy tuck and/or breast augmentation in our San Jose practice, in addition to liposuction for a complete Mommy Makeover.
Your New Look
With proper care and vigilance, your new, smoothly contoured figure will be built to last. Once fat cells are removed through liposuction, they will not grow back, although it is important to continue your healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly and eating well to maintain your results.