Most of you have heard of “Mommy Makeover” by now, and have an idea of what it is.
WHAT’S A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
- This is an answer with a couple of parts. First, Mommy Makeover is not a medical name or description, but a term, made up to describe what it does. It is surgery, that most often addresses physical concerns commonly shared by women who have had children.
What concerns does Mommy Makeover address?
- *The most commonly chosen surgeries in a Mommy Makeover include: Breast Lift and Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty), and Liposuction.
- Breasts: sagging and loss of volume following pregnancy, breast-feeding, weight gain and loss. (Breast Lift restores the breast to a more natural position. Breast Augmentation restores volume and shape.)
- Abdomen: stretched and/or damaged abdominal wall, additional (hard to lose) abdominal fat, sagging skin (Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) tightens skin, removes excess skin, with the option of repairing damaged muscle)
- Body Contour: pockets or areas of excess fat, loss of muscle tone, stretched and/or sagging skin (Liposuction removes extra fat from multiple areas, such as abdomen, flanks, and thighs).
**Do you have to be a Mommy, to have a Mommy Makeover?
- As we said at the top, the most common ‘Mommy Makeover’ procedures restore or correct unwanted changes in the breasts, abdomen, and general body shape.
- We have Mommy Makeover patients who have had multiple pregnancies, and those who have had no pregnancies.
- Some patients have their surgery soon after their last pregnancy, and some have waited 20 years to make surgical changes.
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE?
When you have your consultation with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon (choose one with extensive experience in the procedures), you will be evaluated, and examined.
Your surgeon will ask you whether you feel you have ‘completed’ your family. It would be better for your long-term result, if the answer is ‘yes.’ (Your body, of course,would go through all of the natural stretching and volume changes of pregnancy, and your results would most likely reflect those new changes.)
The bottom line here- if you’re considering more pregnancies, it’s best to wait.
What kinds of changes do you want? When you decide on the areas you wish to have restored, your surgeon will create a plan with you.
- Depending on the extent of your surgery, you may need to have clearances and tests performed by your regular medical doctor
- You may decide to proceed in steps; choosing surgery on one area, and waiting before having the next.
- Or- you may decide to have a combination of procedures- performed in a single surgical session.
- This is an option frequently chosen by our patients. Many find it more economically appealing. (A single session can produce savings in operating room and anesthesia costs). And, they find value in time saved, by having it all ‘done’ at once.
- *please be aware that candidates for multiple area surgery, must be in good health, and must plan for longer recovery. Remember that a more involved, combination surgery, will require more healing time.
MAY I ADD OTHER AREAS?
Yes. There are limits, of course, to what is advisable, and you will discuss these important issues with your surgeon, in great detail.
Many of our patients choose to add other procedures, such as Liposuction of multiple areas, and Fat Transfer. A very popular procedure is fat transfer to the buttocks. (Buttock Augmentation, or Brazilian Butt Lift).
Mommy Makeover can be a little change, or a big one. It’s truly a “custom” set of procedures, designed especially for you.
[To learn more about Mommy Makeover, please call us to schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation at 408-356-4241. Our board-certified plastic surgeons, Dr. Vincent Lepore, and Dr. Benjamin Maser, have extensive experience in this procedure. We invite you to view our Photo Gallery https://www.vincentleporemd.com/photo-gallery/body-contouring/mommy-makeover- to see some of our results.]